Remodeling your home, or adding on to it, is a BIG DEAL. You are investing time, money, and emotional energy in a project that affects the very space in which you live. Dreaming about that finished basement, new kitchen, or remodeled bathroom is one thing, but taking it to the finish line is a process — a process that you want to enjoy. And a process that should result in an amazing finished product.
Which is why finding a contractor that is a good fit for you and your home is key.
Here are the single two most important factors to keep in mind as you evaluate which contractor is right for you:
1. Determine What You Need From Them
If you don’t know what you need, you won’t know what you’re looking for.
- Are you looking for someone who can do it all? Or do you have parts of the project lined up already?
- Do you want to be managing the job on your own? Or do you want your contractor to have a streamlined process that handles all aspects of the project for you?
- Do you have a design/layout created? Do you have an outside designer for this or do you want a contractor who works with the design-build process?
Decide what you really need and make your expectations clear to your contractor. Evaluate whether their services and strategies are the right fit for your remodeling job.
2. Hire Who You Trust
How can you tell if a potential contractor is trustworthy and competent?
- Ask lots of questions. Getting to know a contractor and their way of doing things will give you a good feel for how they run a job. A list of questions you may want to go over can be found here.
- Check with references and outside resources. Does the contractor you’re considering have testimonials from past clients? Are they publicly rated on a site like Houzz.com?
- Evaluate their communication. If it takes two weeks for them to return your phone call in the first place or they dodge questions, their communication during the job will probably only get worse.
- See finished products. Is your remodeling job comparable to something they’ve done before? Trust is easier to come by when you can see photos of a job well done in a project similar to yours.
Hiring a contractor you trust means you’ll feel comfortable with their leadership throughout the process. And most importantly — that you’ll be satisfied (better yet thrilled) with a job well done.
Here at Excel Builders, we believe in a streamlined process that offers all of your services under one-roof. Not only does this take the weight off your shoulders as a homeowner, but we can ensure that all aspects of the job will be done right and on-time! Our emphasis on the design-build process makes your experience more streamlined, efficient, and often more affordable. See why here! And don’t forget to check out our gallery of remodeling photos, Houzz.com Customer Satisfaction Award and Angie’s List Super Service Award!
If it sounds like Excel Builders might be the right fit for your remodeling job, we encourage you to get in touch, ask more questions, and share your vision with us! Excel Builders focuses on bathroom remodels, kitchen remodeling, basement finishing, and more in the Chanhassen, Eden Prairie, Chaska, Edina, and Twin Cities area!