With more color and contrast than recent years, 2014 kitchen trends are a welcome glimpse into kitchens of the future. From tile that dazzles to homework stations in the heart of the home, kitchen trends are evolving our cooking and gathering space into a beautiful and practical room for the whole family.
Here are five top trends you may want to consider implementing in your own kitchen remodel:
- Black is Back -- After years of neutrals and a period of the all-white kitchen trend, black is back. Black countertops, knobs, and appliances make a nice contrast to white or light wood cabinetry. Don’t be afraid! Black doesn’t have to mean overly modern and you don’t have to overdo it — black design elements like these can compliment a kitchen with rich architectural details, keeping the vibe warm yet contemporary.
- Customization & Organization -- In addition to shelves, pullout baskets, and cabinetry drawers, kitchens are adding more and more unique features that make them the organizational hub of the home. From desks to chalkboards to homework nooks, kitchens are becoming more than just a place to eat. Take a peek at this organized kitchen, complete with a pull-out mixer stand.
- Mixed Metals -- Stainless steel, chrome, and nickel have been the go-to metals for quite some time. But warm metals like coppers and bronzes are making their way back in. Don’t be afraid to mix metals -- your faucet or light fixtures in one tone and your cabinet knobs in another. Not ready to commit? Try some mixed-metal table decor first and see how you like this shiny new trend. Be inspired by these kitchens that make more than one metallic finish their home.
- Splash of Color -- Your backsplash has long been a place to have fun in kitchen decor. New tile styles and textures are making the backsplash design more enticing than ever, and color pops are becoming more common. Glass tile is having its day (over ceramic) and glossy or metallic styles are adding some glitz. Need some inspiration for your tile tones? Check out these interesting backslashes from hgtv.
- Think Sink -- We’ve long been accustomed to the stainless steel double bowl that’s as practical as it is versatile. But a few new players are popping up in the world of kitchen sinks, including these attractive and bacteria-reistant e-granite sinks from elkay. Or add some farmhouse flair with an apron-front cast-iron sink like these from Kohler.
Excel Builders is a design-build remodeling contractor serving the West Metro area of the Twin Cities MN, including Chanhassen, Chaska, Eden Prairie, Edina, and more. Contact us about your kitchen remodeling ideas today!