Granite countertops are consistently in-vogue, renown for their durable qualities and natural beauty. Formed from compressed molten rock, Granite is made up of interlocking mineral crystals, the most common being quartz, with an array of feldspar, mica, and other minerals, making each piece of granite unique. The light gray veins of granite are quartz, feldspar is the white mineral, and the black is typically mica.
So what’s so great about granite anyway? As you’re considering new kitchen or bathroom countertops, here are some details to help you understand granite and its consistent popularity better:
- Highly Durable — Granite is naturally extremely hard and durable, and very unlikely to scratch or chip.
- Heat-Resistant — With its heat-resistant qualities, granite doesn't blister, so you can set hot pans directly on its surface.
- Food-Prep Safe — Sleek and non-porous, you can do food preparation
- directly on your granite. The smooth surface keeps food-related bacteria at bay.
- Stain-Proof — Since sealed granite is solid, spills (think red wine and marinara sauce!) do not penetrate the countertop and thus won’t leave a stain.
- Naturally Beautiful — Granite is multi-toned and has a luminous, dimensional quality when polished. It is mined as a thick slab and cut into countertop-sized pieces, making each piece truly a unique slice of nature.
- Valuable — As a high quality, long-lasting product, granite countertops will add value to your home.
- Easy to Clean & Maintain - Granite countertops can be cleaned with just warm water and a soft towel; no fancy or un-healthy cleaning solvents. They typically need sealing just once a year to maintain their smooth and non-porous properties.
Though granite has a higher price-point than some countertop options, the value generally makes the investment worthwhile, proven by its long-withstanding popularity. As with any decision, we’d encourage you to weigh your options and decide which countertop product is the right fit for your kitchen or home remodel! To learn more about the granite countertop installation process check out an inspiring houzz.com article here.
Preparing for a kitchen remodel? Contact us at Excel Builders! Serving Eden Prairie, Chanhassen, Edina, Chaska, and the Twin Cities area with exceptional design-build kitchen and bath remodeling services.