Remodeling requires investment: it takes time, money and emotional energy to finish the job! Your relationship with your remodeler is the fastest way to make this investment miserable or marvelous. But how do you know if a remodeler will fit the bill and be a good match for you?
But which of these remodelers will be the best fit for you and your remodeling project?
Asking a series of questions when you meet with a remodeler is a fantastic way to assess the viability of working with them. Here’s an idea of the kinds of questions to ask on a first meeting with a remodeler:
PLANNING the project
- What is your approach to a project such as this?
- How many projects like mine have you completed in the past year?
- How will you help me through the entire process? What type of decisions will I have to make? Which ones will you help me with?
- What assurance can you provide that the design can be built within budget?
- What is the overall timeframe for a project like this?
- Will your company provide a written schedule for this remodeling project?
- What concerns do you have about this project? What do you like about this project?
COMMUNICATING with one another
- What are you looking for in a client?
- To what extent will you be personally involved in the project?
- Who will manage the project day to day?
- Who will be the contact person if the project supervisor is unavailable?
- During the remodeling project how frequently will we meet with your company? Who will attend these meetings?
ON THE JOB logistics
- Will employees or subcontractors be working on the project?
- What procedures will you follow to keep our home, belongings, and job site clean and safe throughout the remodel?
- Will there be someone on site who speaks my language (or easy access to an interpreter whenever needed)?
- How does your company ensure that warranty complaints are handled appropriately?
This list is really a starting point to inspire you to develop a list of questions for your first meeting with your remodeler. Asking good, detailed questions is best way to determine whether a remodeler is truly the best choice for your budget, your project, and your personality!
And remember, remodelers want to answer your questions: the good ones look forward to developing remodeling relationships that are rewarding and productive too!
Looking for more? Check out this related Ideabook on Houzz: 10 Things to Ask Your Contractor Before You Start Your Project.
For even more questions to ask a remodeler during your first meeting check out this Excel Builders blog article.
Contact us today to learn more about how Excel Builders might be the right remodeler for your next project! Excel Builders serves Chanhassen, Hopkins, Chaska, Eden Prairie, Minnetonka, and areas surrounding the West Metro in MN.