Building an addition to your home may seem like a daunting project, but it might be the most natural next step in expanding your home and getting the space you need.
Since you know the house you’re in, and know it well, you’re already aware of what you love and don’t love, what new space you need, and what space isn’t being used to it’s fullest. This insider’s knowledge makes it easier to define what you want to include as you prepare for your addition.
Once you’re ready to build an addition, what should you expect? There are two main stages of the addition process: The Design Stage & The Building Stage.
1. The Design Stage – A specific design is crucial to starting an addition and getting it done right. At Excel Builders, we’re serious about getting you a high quality, detailed design that includes what you want. This is done first with the exterior layout, secondly with the interior design.
Architechtural Design – The exterior, or structural aspect of your design needs to be done first. This means you need to:
- Make a wish list of what you want your space to include and rate by priority; this will help your contractor and designer as they prepare the plans
- Be flexible: know that plumbing and wiring locations may override where you want your bathroom or new office
- Consider legal and neighborhood restrictions
- Review your rooflines and decide how you want the addition to match up
- Keep scale and proportion in mind – you want your new addition to look natural
- Consider views from the house – what do you want to maximize, what don’t you want to block
Interior Design – The interior layout is done next. In this stage you’ll consider factors like:
- What size do you want your expansion or each new room to be as they’re divided
- Where should interior walls be placed
- How much closet and storage space needs to be allocated
- Where do interior items, such as cabinets, islands, sinks, etc. need to go
2. The Building Stage – Once the design plans are in place and approved, construction can begin. Building an addition is a big project, and you need to be prepared.
Preparing Yourself for the Process:
- Additions can be longer and messier than remodels and your home may be open to outside elements for part of the time
- Adding on may be more invasive of your whole home than you might expect – even if your addition is upstairs, your builders may need access to other areas of the house (particularly areas where mechanical equipment, etc are based)
- You may want to consider temporary living arrangements during a portion of the addition building – during a stage that is most messy or most invasive. This can ease your stress level and allow the process to move more quickly.
- The process may seem slow and messy at first, but things come together quickly toward the end as you begin to see your design take shape!
The Payoff – Though it can seem like an overwhelming process at times, the payoff of building an addition is big. Keeping the value of what you already have and investing in it is a smart move. It’s unlikely you’re ever going to be 100% happy with any home you find, meaning remodeling projects are always looming. Why not pour that time and investment into a home where you already know you like other features. It’s time to fall in love with your home all over again!
If you’re ready to begin the home addition process, Minneapolis contractor Excel Builders can be with you every step of the way. We happily start by getting you a thorough design and then only move forward once you’re truly satisfied with the direction things are going. And once we begin the building stage, keeping things as clean and convenient as possible is our priority, as we work with meticulous excellence to add to the home you already love! Contact us today! Remodeling and building contractor serving Minneapolis and the Twin Cities metro area.