Excess moisture or water leakage in a shower, bathtub, or any area of your home where water is present can cause some pretty big problems. From avoiding leaks to preventing mildew, putting an effective barrier between your surface and tile installation is crucial. A popular product for use during this remodeling or building step is RedGard.®
RedGard is a ready-to-use membrane for both commercial and residential tile and stone application (think shower tiles, spas, floor tiles, etc). Usable in interior or exterior projects, RedGard creates a continuous waterproofing barrier with outstanding adhesion and reduces cracks in tile and stone floors. RedGard starts as a bright pink thick liquid (think yogurt meets pepto bismol) and can be applied with a brush, roller or sprayer. It then turns red once it's dry, within 24 hours.
Benefits of RedGard:
- RedGard bonds directly to metal drains, PVC, stainless steel and ABS drain assemblies
- It can be used as a slab-on-grade moisture vapor barrier under all types of floor coverings
- Using RedGard reduces curing time with its quick-dry formula and isolates cracks to 1/8" (3 mm)
- It is suitable for waterproofing pools, spas and water features
- RedGard Meets Uniform Plumbing Code specifications for use as a shower pan liner
In order to avoid leaking in the shower or tile area, as well as possible mold and mildew contamination, it is very important that you follow the instructions carefully. If you're using a remodeling professional, make sure they are experienced in proper use of the product, ensuring that the RedGard is applied correctly and will have the long term benefits it promises.
Looking for a Minneapolis bathroom remodeler for your Twin Cities, MN or West Metro remodeling project? Need some help with your shower, tub, or tile installation? Contact us at Excel Builders today.